Sunday, November 30, 2008

I've found the End of the Rainbow

First, let me start this post by apologizing to all those who read this blog for the late nature of this update. I unfortunately lost Internet connection on Thursday here in NZ (or Wednesday for my States readers). I have restored my Internet connection so I am writing to update you on my seventh week here in NZ at Swanson Primary. 

The first three days of week seven were quite ordinary, or at least that is what I have been told (I have not had many days here at Swanson without something interesting happen. I was able to plan for those three days in a "normal" manner without needing to plan for extra activities. To start off the week, I was able to plan for Maths during our middle block for the Maths rotation (a grouping by ability). Maths this week focused on simple equations of the form x + 15 = 39. I was also able to plan for students to have time for Reading tasks each day of the week. I currently have two group of my top students working on book reports (started by my teacher before I arrived). I then planned lessons for my lower reading groups. The bottom group had two days with me and the next highest had one day of direct instruction. During these groups, we focused on making inferences and connections, using the text to find evidence to answer questions about the text. To round out the day, I planned time for the students to work on their individual written narratives based loosely on their claymation story lines. I spent time with the students first discussing what are the components of a good narrative, then the students worked individually to complete a narrative scaffold with the main details of their story. Once the students have their scaffold completed they will write a draft of their story from the scaffold and have it checked by me. I have then offered to given them tips to improve their narrative before they hand in a final copy to me. 

However, this week went extremely interesting when Thursday arrived. Because my cooperating teacher runs the cool schools program many students in Rm 34 are involved. In fact, only 6 students out of 28 are not involved in some manner, either through peer mediation or road patrol. At the end of the year, those students who are peer mediators or on road patrol are taken to Rainbow's End, a theme park in South Auckland, 45 minutes from the school, and due to the large amount of participation from my class, I was asked to accompany the students. I had a wonderful time, and so did my students who delighted in dragging me onto various rides with them or their groups of friends. Minus the headache I received after having my body scrabbled in something called Power Surge, I had a wonderful time interacting with the students and teachers outside of the classroom. 

However, this previous weekend I received a visit from my family (parents and brother) until Saturday, which meant that on Sunday I had even more condensed planning to do. This week is promising to be quick out of the ordinary, since Monday is CRT for myself and my teacher. However, I still need to plan everything for my reliever to do with the students. Tomorrow is Athletics day, or Track day, for those in the States. I needed to make sure that I split my class up equally into the rooms of teachers who are staying a Swanson, plus I needed to create a work packet for my students. I have been asked to run the sprints for this event because of my previous experience with track in high school. I am looking forward to being on the other end of the spectrum, going from student/athlete to teacher/coach, something I have always wanted to do.

No comments: